Observations on the Road to...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Gilmore Girls

So this past Tuesday night saw the repeat of the last episode of Gilmore Girls on The CW. I was able to watch the half of it. I remember watching it originally back in May. It was sad then as it is now. I think my favorite period of the show was the third and fourth seasons. I got into the show because of Smallville. Together, Gilmore Girls and Smallville represented The WB's Tuesday night schedule.

It was during the summer that followed Smallvile's first season that I began watching repeats of season two episodes of Gilmore Girls.

When the new season kicked off in the fall, I made it a point to watch Gilmore Girls as well as Smallville. I've been a fan of Gilmore Girls ever since. In fact, I must say that Gilmore Girls has eclipsed Smallville as my favorite of the two. If someone were to tell me that back then, I would tell you to go paint my house. Don't get me wrong here: I still park my arse in front of the television to watch a new episode of Smallville, and I'm still making it a point to follow the series when the show's seventh season kicks off at the end of this month but Gilmore Girls just has that unique charm to it.

Gilmore Girls had a wealth of likeable characters that evolved through the course of the series. It was great to know that these characters really cared about each other. There are some people out there who have issues with the dialogue in the show, but I loved it. I thought it was absolutely masterful how Amy Sherman-Palladino and company did a one-eighty on the Dean and Jess characters. Dean was the good-clean cut kid, and Jess was the bad-boy, and by the time both characters were written out of the show, you realized Dean just didn't know what he really wanted, and was the way he was because he didn't know what else to do. He was indecisive. Whereas Jess shed all his unnecessary baggage, and grew up. I think the execution on that worked so well, some people don't even realize how seamless that transition came about.

Even though I can see Rory and Jess hooking back up together again in their futures, I just think it would be awkward and weird considering Lorelai and Luke got back together in the last episode. Kind of incestuous considering Lorelai and Rory are mother-daughter, and Luke and Jess are uncle-nephew.

Plus Alexis Bledel is really pretty. Shallow of me to say, but the hell if she ain't.

No comments: